HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:45 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

TC and Knight would have to be consider the out and out leaders in ML seqment as they are proven, reliable and continue to evolve. I personally would look hard at a Savage ML 10II but I can use smokeless in ML season, so I would be able to harness this benefit/quality. If you can only use BP or subs I would stick with the first 2 mentioned. In inlines I have owned a Gonic, Knight and my current Rem 700 MLS, all had quirks and advantages to each in their time but in all honesty they also all worked quite well once I learned their habits.

I would suggest a 50 cal, as it is the most popular which means you have more accessories, bullet choices, etc. It will also handle bigger game like elk, etc in the future if required.

Consider a SS model in whichever you chose, with BP cleaning is essential and SS is easier to determine when it is cleaned properly. Even for an experience firearm user, such as yourself!