HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

What brand do I stay away from and what do I buy? I am allowed to scope it. .45 or .50 whichever shoots flatter.
If you were going to a Traditional style rifle like a cap or flint lock then I would suggest a .54 caliber or bigger. The 1:48 twist would be fine, but depending on what you want to shoot or what your State insists you shoot that twist rate might change.

If you're considering an inline like a great majority of the new shooters that kind depends on how deep your pockets are. Muzzleloaders are all good these days and most any off the shelf muzzleloader depending on the make or model will shoot out to 100 yards. I would also take the .50 caliber model. You will have a better selection of projectiles and a heavier selection of projectiles. Depending on where or what your hunting that weight of projectile can make a big difference.

Many people will tell you to stay away from CVA, Traditions, Beartooth, and any other rifle that sports a BPI or spanish made barrel. This is because of some barrel pressure testing issues. I personally will not do that. I will leave that decision up to you. If it bothers you that their testing is only at minumum standards and many loads can exceed those standards, then you be the judge. Buy it or don't buy one. Many people have them and have used them for years with excellent results. Most of them are fine shooting rifles also and are much more cost effective then some of the name brands. I think if you use and load the rifle according to the recommendations of the maker you should have a safe experience.

Some of the more respected names in muzzleloaders, and I hate to put it that way because I mean nothing against the other makes out there, Knight, Thompson Center, A&H, White, Savage, NEF, H&R, and others are considered the better of the rifles out there. There are also some excellent models on specials out there. All you need do is look for them.

You also have to consider the kind of action you want. Break open, block, bolt, slide striker, all of them are out there. Some are easier to clean then others and some take special gadgets to hold the 209 primers.

I would personally recommend a Knight, T/C or NEF only because they make an excellent rifle and there are some good deals on them out there. There are as many opinions on the best rifle out there, as there are makes of rifles....

Look at the Knight Wolverines or the Thompson Center Black Diamond if money is an issue. If money is not all that serious then look at the Omega, Knight Disc, or any other the others that strike your fancy. Start looking over the different makers sights and see which rifles appeal to you. Then ask about the rifle you like the most......