HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Close encounters of the Animal kind
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
glob3006
Fork Horn

Default Close encounters of the Animal kind

I was just thinking aout some of the CLOSE calls that I have had with animals while out in the woods.

I have had several.............Mostly Moose ( I live in Colo. for gosh sakes) I've had at least one per year for the last seveal years.

Please share your experiences as well!!!!!

The first time I decided to backpack hunt ( It's the best) It was ML season (sept) I had hiked up 3 miles and could barely find the energy to set up camp . But the Bulls(Elk) were bugleing all night long and I could not sleep!!!!!! Just B-4 dawn I got out of my tent and started to cow call and just as light was breaking I noticed that one of the Bulls was not 50 yrds away moving thruogh some thick scrub and I thought MAN this is it!!!!!!!! But what I didn't know was that there was another Bull that had moved in behind me QUIETLY!!!! I heard some hooves sounding against the ground and I could actually here him breathing!!! My instinct was to turn aruond and see what was there and when I did he barked turned and ran and so did his partner........No Elk but WOW!!!!!!!! What a rush!!! Later that day just as I was hitting the sack I started hearing some grunting.....Moose.............Exciting but no big deal right????? well he came over and started working the tree that my tent was attatched to!@#$%^ He was litteraly stepping on my tent (corner) with me inside. Thankfully that ended well!!!!!

Two years ago me and a friend were out in the same area and heard some major tree thrashing and went to investigate. What we were hoping was an Elk gone rut crazy mad turned out to be a great bull Moose showing the tree who was boss. Problem was is that he spotted us and made quik work of the 50 yrds between us. Of course we grabbed the tail wind and blew! After about 200 or so yrds we thought we were OK. But one look back and there he was .................We thought???????? As it turns out it was another Moose who did not want us around . We figured this out because after we jogged our way ito the timber these bulls came together and put on QUITE a sparring match not 30 yrds away.........Wow

Last year after I had just gotten to the end of my hike in and was READY!!!! To unload my gear this bull Moose jumps out a gruntin' that sucker had me goin' for a hundred yrds full run .....Or as fast as one can run with a pack full of gear!@#$%^........Made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had others ................15Cows (Elk ) at 15ft while I ate my lunch or had to get out of the way of a BEAUTIFUL mule buck that just about ran me over on a scouting trip.ETC................Am I the Clark Griswald of hunting??? It usually works out..........But man!@#$%

So what's yours ????????