HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you tell the difference between jake and tom??
Old 03-08-2005, 10:21 PM
ShawneeHunter

Default RE: How do you tell the difference between jake and tom??

My buddy shot a jake last year and I would have never thought in a million years it was a jake from the way he was acting. He was spittin and drumming and gobbling and sounded just like a gobbler. He was the king of that hill. It wasn't till we got to him that we realized it was a jake. So yes a jake can sound like a gobbler at least in my area they can. I have also heard them sound like others have said. It's not real easy to tell by the gobble but you have to know what your listening for and being a begginer you most likely can't tell. It will take a couple years. The best way to tell is by the beard. I have never saw a jake with an 8" beard. The biggest I have saw had a 5 1/2" beard. The first thing I look for is the tail if he is strutting. If it's nice and round he's had it and if it's not even then I hold off. If he's not strutting than I look for the beard. In Ohio any bearded turkey is legal and that includes hens which I haven't saw one in the wild yet.