HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - over analyzing caliber
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Judson

Default RE: over analyzing caliber

You know, this is a very good post!!!! I get in trouble on many forums for picking on the long range shooters. I also get squacked at for my position on needle blowers (Small high velosity stuff like 22-250s) for big game, do not use them! But the bottom line is shoot straight, put the bullet where it is suposed to go, pass up shots that are iffy and shoot with the rifle you have faith in and you will do fine if you practice.
Now me, I do not like to pass up shots due to angle and such which is a small part of why I like the big bores. Now I will not take a running shot on an un injured deer for example. If he is hit then it is up to me to put it down as quickly and humainly as possable so in the case of a wounded deer I might take that running shot. On the other hand I have not run into this situation more then twice and never since I switched to my .366DGW. The only problem with this round is that if a deer is facing you and you shoot for the center of the chest you better hope you blow his tail off, you will have an exit hole even stem to stern. Maby this fall I should switch to the 45032 N.E. I am building.