HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Diary!
Thread: Turkey Diary!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Swingin Peduncle

Default RE: Turkey Diary!

Turk...there are a couple of journals being put out commercially that are just for turkey hunting, but I much prefer ones that you can buy at any bookstore or Walmart more cheaply. The ones I'm using are 5 x 8 inches, and are nicely bound with about a hundred blank, lined pages. They're around $3, or less.

I'll often quickly jot down things like times on the endpapers of the journal, then when there's an opportunity later on in the day, I'll fill in the daily record. I start each page with date and location, then an overview of what the weather was, followed by a whole list of abbreviated headings of particulars that I think are important, such as: whether I roosted the night before & results, hours hunted, whether I owl hooted before first gobble & results, how many toms I heard gobbling...while they were still in the trees, on the ground, and total for the hunt, time of first gobble & flydown, whether or not I called to the tom in the tree & results, how many times I set up on each bird, calls used & results, # of turkeys seen & called in, if a tom was killed--the time, range, weapon, & stats, or if one was missed or boogered the range and reasons, etc. etc. etc.

Then I write a detailed free-hand account of the hunt. Sometimes it seems like a lot of trouble, but down the road you will be glad that you did it. When I go back to a place later on, I can glance through my old journal entries of the previous hunts there and garner all sorts of helpful information.