HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 385 gr. grat plains bullets ?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
newman1

Default RE: 385 gr. grat plains bullets ?

ORIGINAL: roundball

ORIGINAL: KenL

I have a knight wolverine 50 cal. This past weekend I tried shooting the 385 gr. great plains bullets. I started with 85 gr. of pyrodex rs, and found that my shots were not consistant. My dad was along, and thought I was pulling off anticipating the recoil, there was and older guy with a flintlock next to me at the range. He said he had been watching me, and said he hadn't seen me flinch at all, then he suggested I try bumping my powder to 95 grains. I did, and my shots stablized. I was shooting 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards. That may not sound great, but from what I was getting, it is phenominal. Does anyone have any suggestion on improving on what I have now? I have only been shooting M/L for about 2 months, so I am a newby.
KenL, I'm guessing the 1/4" group is a typo...maybe dropped a digit and it might have been 1+1/4", 2+1/4", etc...for example, the .50cal Great Plains bullet is a half inch wide by itself, so the smallest hole possible would be half inch...so for me, I'd need to know the correct size group you got before being able to comment on any possible actions you might want to take, if any
Actually roundball it is entirely possible to shoot a 1/4" group if measured crrectlyFirst you need to measure to the O.D. of the two farthest bullets apart and then subtract 1 bullet diameter from that.that being said i don't really think there are any possible actions he should take except to back the target back and see how it shoots at a farther distance.Then maybe he should take some possible action