HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choke tubes????
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Jrockkilla

Default RE: Choke tubes????

Wow! Thanks for the insight! Well, let me give you a rundown on what I've experimented with so far.... I used to have a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum synthetic 12 and shot both 3 & 3 1/2 shotshells (mainly winchester supremes, remington premier high velocity magnum turkey loads, and federal premium mag shok turkey) The 3" rems shot best at 30 yds.... about 7 bb's in the vitals, feds and wins were about the same with both 3 and 3 1/2 but wasn't all too impressed with the pattern as it wasn't as condensed as I would prefer at that yardage. The choke I "was" using was the one that came with the gun (remington extra full) not quite sure what the constriction is with that tube. But, and I hate saying this, .... I had to sell that gun and was left with my 1100. I have a 28" vent rib barrell on it and I have heard that the longer barrell helps it reach out a bit further? Well, I have shot that gun at ranges of 20, 30, 40, and 45 yds. and all will kill birds but was not satisfied with the patterning of the rem choke. I have recently bought the TruGlo Gobble Stopper choke and have yet to use it so I'm not quite sure how it will perform with my setup and what load to use. I have heard alot about the Hevi Shot both good and bad (the bad mainly being the price) and don't want to spend $$ on it if it doesn't even perform as expected or if I have the wrong choke to use while testing them. But that's turkey hunting for ya isn't it? Experimentation. I was researching the Comp-N-Choke and alot of people speak highly of them. I see that you believe Rhino's are a great buy and also the Kicks, Hastings and Jellyhead are getting honorable mention. I just used to think it came down to full, extra full, or super full chokes and that was it.... but now I'm learning a whole lot more about how much of a difference a tube (constriction) will make and with the shotshell used in combination with it. Lots to learn. With those numbers .665, .670 etc. what does that mean and how do I determine which is which when buying a new tube? I really appreciate your feedback guys!