HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Round Ball in Sabot Range Report
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 09:44 AM
LaneNebraska
Typical Buck

Default Round Ball in Sabot Range Report

Hey everybody,

After reading the MuzzleLoading-101 from another board last December, I got the valve lapping compound(Fine Grit) and tried it on my old MagHunter.

Lapped it 100 times, and what a SHINE inside the bore [8D]

Finally got the old MagHunter back to the range and here are my results:

50 cal MagHunter with 2.5 X 7 X 32 power Weaver Scope, Using 100grains of loose FFFg American Pioneer Powder, pushing a .440 Hornady round ball inside a MMP sabot, I finished with a 1.5 inch--3 shot group at 70 yards!

At 50 yards--1/2 inch groups!!

I know this will be hard to believe, especially the 100grains of powder pushing a round ball!

I was working up my load from 60 grains to 80grns and wasn’t consistent. I then used some old speed loaders charged with 100grns for my PowerBelt shooting. I said what the heck; let’s try these out. And Presto! Instant success!!!

I'll post pics of targets and recovered round balls and sabots ASAP.

Will try 295grn powerbelts another day. So far the Lapped barrel is great with this roundball combo.

I think I had scope problems before,(First time out was trying to get powerbelts sighted in) on the first outing. Anyway, I've got real confidence for the next session now

P.S.

Forgot too say that my first attempt at saboted roundballs before Lapping barrel, were 5inch groups at 85 yards--using 100grns of powder--and this was with a 4 X12 X40 Bushnell-Banner scope.

50 yard warm up/ load work-up shots.

70 yard group

Last shot at 70 yards

Last shot at 50 yards

Spent Bullets and sabot