HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM
kevin1
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

All states have a leash law ,
or other laws concerning animal control , all of which clearly state that the dog's owner is directly responsible for their dog . These laws also directly apply to hunting dogs . Many states , mine included , allow a property owner to shoot stray animals if they are causing damage to the property , or chasing game or livestock . If the dog's owner doesn't care enough about their animal to control it and run the dog responsibly then they don't care enough to keep it alive . Around here strays are routinely shot on sight . I give all critters a more than fair chance to feel unwelcome , repeat offenders get no quarter . Just the other day I gave a repeat stray cat his final "you're not welcome here" message , a well placed shot into the ground right behind him . Next time the miss , if any , won't be intentional . It doesn't matter whose pet it is or how much it cost , if you allow the animal to become a nuisance or hazard don't be surprised if it doesn't come back . Around here it probably won't .