HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Barrel Breakin
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: New Barrel Breakin

Bascially he used a boresope on a 45-70 to mark every in perfection in the barrel from brand new. He then started the breakin procedure with copper coated bullets noting copper fouling and the inperfections at each shot. He stated that copper fouling got less and less as it should, but also the inperfections became less and less until the barrel was smooth all the way down. He also noted the group size becoming smaller and smaller adn velocity spreads lower and lower. He stated that breakin was doing something. Whether it was really sealing up the pours in the barrel, or smoothing out tooling marks. Whatever it was doing was beneficial. I believe you can do the same with alot of shooting. But I like to get staight to load development well before 100 rounds.

I like his writing over Barsness and Bryce Townson so I listen up alot when he writes. I don't just take it all down. But I make note of it.

I proved his idea to myself when I just broke in a new sako 75 stainless. I didn't go in detail with a borescope as he did. But definatley noticed less and less copper fouling each round of cleaning. And noticed group sizes getting smaller and smaller and velocity spreads settling down. This was in the first 20 rounds. I was quite happy with my results as he was.