HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dove cleaning
Thread: Dove cleaning
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 12:43 AM
IdahoRube

Default RE: Dove cleaning

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Yesterday I took a bunch of the birds from Monday and marinated them overnight in oil (I dunno, quarter to half a cup?), a little soy sauce, a little worchestershire, salt, pepper, a little wine vinegar. I also put a few hardwood chips in water to soak overnight.

Early this morning I turned the marinating container over and let the birds marinate until this evening.

This evening on one side of my grill I lit a small pile of coals.

While the coals were getting hot, I wrapped each bird with a strip of bacon, securing it with half of a toothpick.

When the coals were really hot, I removed the hardwood from its water, shook the water off and put it on the hot fire.

I then arranged the birds, breasts down, on the side of the grill OPPOSITE the fire. Closed the grill and waited about fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes I used a tong to turn the birds on their backs, breasts up, and grilled another ten minutes.

Arranged the birds around a platter with a little garnish and served hot with a Cotes Du Rhone (‘99 Chateau Beaucastel).

Terribly grateful to nature.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Man, I'm so sick of my normal recipe for doves I figured what the hell, I'll try this guy's &quot;bacon dove&quot; recipe.

Just ate it an hour ago and IT ROCKED MY WORLD. The BEST way to cook wild bird that I've ever tried.

Thank you so much for the tip--I'm saving this recipe for years to come.