HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dove cleaning
Thread: Dove cleaning
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Swampmonster
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dove cleaning

Seven guys, seven ways to clean dove. LOL. Humans.

Here's an eighth way (not better than yalls', just a little different).

I am real big on cleaning and cooling game, any game, even fish, as soon as its down. I miss a lot of birds during cleaning if the field is hot. But I still usually get my limit and very fine quality birds to boot.

1. Take a cooler in the field with ice and plenty of water (for drinking and cleaning hands.)

2. As soon as the bird is down and in hand I pluck feathers. This takes about a half minute. I cut out the anus, which leaves a hole. I dig index finger in hole, way in there. Then using the finger I scoop out the innards. They usually come out in a lump. (do this in your sitting area). You have a gutless, plucked bird with a head and two feet. Cut off head and feet. All this should take about a half minute. Pour a little water on soiled hand and wipe with cloth. (One minute fifteen seconds total)

3. You have a little Thanksgiving turkey on your hands. Put in plastic bag and then stuff the bag under ice to quickly get the bird cool.

4. I usually cook and serve my birds whole. Using a knife and fork, I simply cut on both sides of the breastbone, all the way down to the backbone. Then, just flip off two "big" chunks of breast meat.

----------------

Limited out Monday and today. Tonight I served grill dove. Here is what I did.

Yesterday I took a bunch of the birds from Monday and marinated them overnight in oil (I dunno, quarter to half a cup?), a little soy sauce, a little worchestershire, salt, pepper, a little wine vinegar. I also put a few hardwood chips in water to soak overnight.

Early this morning I turned the marinating container over and let the birds marinate until this evening.

This evening on one side of my grill I lit a small pile of coals.

While the coals were getting hot, I wrapped each bird with a strip of bacon, securing it with half of a toothpick.

When the coals were really hot, I removed the hardwood from its water, shook the water off and put it on the hot fire.

I then arranged the birds, breasts down, on the side of the grill OPPOSITE the fire. Closed the grill and waited about fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes I used a tong to turn the birds on their backs, breasts up, and grilled another ten minutes.

Arranged the birds around a platter with a little garnish and served hot with a Cotes Du Rhone (‘99 Chateau Beaucastel).

Terribly grateful to nature.