HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - black powder shotguns?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Turkey Addict

Default RE: black powder shotguns?

Hey SCbowhntr,

I just bought a used Thompson Center New Englander. Its a single a barrel 12 gauge sidelock with screw in chokes and a wood stock. I have been looking for the past two years for this type of gun. It seams the manufactures have all switched over to inline shotguns. This is what I have found for options.

1. You can get a new 12 ga double barrel sidelock from Cabelas for around $600.

Keep in mind from what a know all of thease guns have been discontinued.

CVA made The 12 gauge Trapper Shotgun. As far as I can tell it was offered with either a fixed modified or a screw in choke version. From what I can tell they were only offered in a wooden stock.

Thompson Center 12 gauge New Englander sidelock, Synthetic or wood stock, screw in chokes also avilable in .50 or .54 cal rifle barrels.

Thompson Center 12 gauge Black Mountain Magnum sidelock. Synthetic or wood stock screw in chokes, also avilable in .50 or .54 cal rifle barrels. Now from what I can tell the New Englander and the Black Mountain Magnum Are the same guns. The difference being The Black Mountain Magnum was desinged for Magnum Loads.

cayugad has a good point. I considered going this route myself.

Now as far as finding one of thease shotguns keep an eye on the online gun auctions. Try Gunbrokers, AuctionArms or Guns America. A CVA shot gun kit turned up in a search of compleated items on one of those auction sites, It sold for $169 back in December. Check with your local sporting goods store. Thats were I found mine. It was a trade in that has been hid away in storage for quite a few years. I hope I have been of some help

Good Luck
Jerry