HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone use Flip-Open Scope Covers?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone use Flip-Open Scope Covers?

I have them on all my scopes. I try not to hunt with them on as I find them a little distracting. That is, I'll have the covers in place while walking through the woods to my point of ambush and then, when I settle in at my ground blind or ambush spot I'll remove them and put them in my day pack. On the other hand, if I were walking about and a deer showed, I would pop them open immediately and get on target, if possible. It may be the popping the caps open at the moment of truth -- deer walks up the trail you are watching -- makes a audible and oddly foreign sound which would give your presence away.

I recommend getting an extra pair of caps in case you lose one. I have never lost one in three years of hunting, but I did drop one on the ground and not find it until later that day, and it was largely a matter of luck that I did recover it. I have three scopes all identical so one spare set of caps covers all three rifles -- not likely I'll lose more than one cap on any given hunting trip.