HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ATV advice
Thread: ATV advice
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
spd522

Default RE: ATV advice

I rode them all before buying. I agree that Honda and Yamaha will probably be the most reliable in the long run. However, what you intend to use it for will determine if one of most reliable is also the best choice for you.

For me, I wanted sufficient seat room to ride double without having to buy a true double seat or side by side. I wanted ground clearance, front locker, Hi-Low, auto, IRS, and comfortable ride.

Honda Rincon was the closest Honda for seat room but the poor engine braking and no locker booted it out. Sweet cruiser but not suited for serious work.

Yamaha Grizzly was Yamahas best fit for my needs. Great seat. guages. locker, power, and handles well for a biggie. Engine idles rough but smooths out once rpms climb. It was one of the final 2 in my pick.

Kawasaki didn't have IRS yet or the BF but I liked it otherwise.

Polaris was never a contender. Although it rides smooth and handles normal trails well, it had poor engine braking and required 4wd for areas the others handled easily in 2wd. Plus it's 4wd system doesn't let you be in control. I also don't like supporting my local service dept. all the time.

No one close handled Bombardier although I like some of their features. Engine vibrates a lot though.

Suzuki didn't have the 700 out yet so it really didn't have what I wanted. The Vinson was nice but a bit small and just as expensive as some of the others.

Arctic Cat was a late addition. I had some friends with them and they loved them. So I went to look. I was impressed. Max ground clearance of 13". MRP racks are awesome, 2" receiver hitch standard, Kawasaki 650 twin for plenty of power, big comfy seat, and 6.5 gal gas tank.

So it got down to the AC 650 and the Grizzly. I could actually get the Grizzly cheaper. But the MRP racks, hitch, ground clearance, and all that smooth v-twin power just sold me. I think I could have been just as happy with the Grizzly but I do really love this Cat.

It doesn't handle as nimble as some of the others. Nor does it turn as tight. But when you get into the really rough and nasty stuff, this thing is a beast. Gotta love that.

Oh, I flip the choke and crank a few turns and it starts every time. Even sitting for weeks in temp in the teens. Guess if that is hard starting, I don't mind it.