HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats your memorible hunt
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
VP

Default RE: whats your memorible hunt

Pat, Thanks again for sharing your story agian, I've read it many times over the last couple of years and it still has the same effect on my wife and I.

I'm almost 36 yrs old and been turkey hunting since I was old enough to keep up with my dad in the woods and Up until last season all of my most memorable hunts have been with my him. This past season was my oldest sons first year turkey hunting with a gun (12yrs old).We made several hunts here in our home state of La but he was not able to connect with his first bird. I planned, prepared and hunted harder then I ever have to get one within 30yds but was unsuccessful.
We planned our annual tirp to Taxas and it turned out that he would be out of school that week so we packed up and headed out.
Our first morning was nothing out of the ordinary for Texas turkey hunting, we must have had 30 birds fire up at the first sign of daylight- There was nothing better then to see that kids face light up like he had just seen his first magic trick. We worked several birds that morning but they were just to henned up.We moved to a different area that afternoon and worked two Longbeards with 4-5 hens within 35 yds- the hens bcame a little spooky and started to move off so I told Travis to take the shot, he did and shot clean over the ole Toms head- Never touched a feather- He was so disgusted, I thought he was going to cry- I felt like it myself but wasnt going to show him - The next morning started out the same, birds gobbling their heads off and we lucked up and got a HERD of Jakes all fired up and coming in. He didnt really want to shoot a Jake but these birds were within 15 yds spittin, drummin and gobblin like a bunch of fools- I told him he better take advantage of it and take one so he shot and folded one and I shot another. So his first bird was also a double with his ole man.
I expect he and I will have many more hunts to cherish just as I do with my Dad.

Those are the kind of things you truely live for !