HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Camp
Thread: Deer Camp
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 PM
AlabamaDan

Default RE: Deer Camp

Great post. We have a family deer camp in MS and hunting just wouldn't be the same without it. It's an old house trailer that we've added on to several times over the years. It's on the outskirts of what is a drying up little ol town, so we're lucky enough to have city water, electricity, and a big propane gas tank. The place is in a sorta state of disrepair, but that's part of its charm.

There's usually some one up there during hunting season off and on. The doors don't even lock. There are alot of guys that I ONLY see there during deer season. We have a few guys who are musically inclined and they always play their guitars and sing, heck we all sing. We've even written (and recorded) songs about our deer camp with little inside jokes built in. The weekend after Thanksgiving is the best!

We have a number of stands around the property and every night we always sit around talking about "where ya going to go in the morning," and debates run off and on all night. Everyone has thier favorite, but we just switch up. Someone usually gets a deer each day and we eat the backstraps and tenderloins in camp. The hunter who pulled the trigger usually takes the rest - unless he wants to donate to the camp or the actual owner of the land. Remember its a family camp and we have no dues, no monetary dues anyway. We earn our keep by doing things around the camp while we're there and throughout the year. In fact I need to get over there and cut some firewood for next year. Noone assignes tasks but everything seems to always get done.

Anyway, we always cook. Everyone has a dish they cook. I'm usually the chef for venison or my special beans. We've got a guy who always makes the cornbread. Another makes the greens, etc.... We eat and eat until we're stuffed. We do consume some adult beverages, and in fact that's one of the only places I drink anymore. Some guys don't even bring guns....just coolers.

One of the neat things is getting to know folks at some of the other deer camps around us. We drive our four wheelers over to thier places and BS around. See who got what. Borrow stuff. Hunt on other people's camps. It's almost like the entire county is one big deer camp. Lots of fun.

Well I should sign off as I've just rambled. I'll leave with this. If you haven't experienced deer camp you just haven't experienced all hunting has to offer. That's over half the reason I hunt. Seeing as how I only saw four deer last year and they were all does, it's sure not just to sit in the stand.

This BBS is sorta like a deer camp....

Good thread...keep it up....

I'd like to see photos of other people's deer camps.