HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Camp
Thread: Deer Camp
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
jpm8920
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Camp

Well I have done both a deer camp some years and not doing one other years. I am 23 and have been deer hunting since I was 14. For the first few years we would spend some time at a friends deer camp (at his cabin), but also a lot of hunting just driving to and from oour hunting location every day. Then the gentleman who owned the camp passed away and my father bought it. Since then we have gone to deer camp every year. It is a simple cabin, small main area, bathroom that works (once in a while), and two lofts. We have a gravity-fed srping providing water to the cabin, and a woodburning stove for heat. The cabin is on a dirt road in The Catskills of NY that you need 4 wheel drive to get to. We usually have between 4 and 8 or 9 guys at camp. We would have more people there but even 8 people is REALLY tight. There are two other deer camps on our mountain, so at night there is a lot of BSing and of coarse a little beer drinking. We usually eat at camp but once or twice during the week we will go to the local pub, have a burger, some beers, and play a little darts. Everyone is usually there for a week, but sometimes longer. Last year I spent two weeks there and still didn't want to go home.

In my opinion the entire hunting experience would not be the same if we didn't have a deer camp every year. The land we used to hunt had 10 times the deer and wasn't near as mountainous, but I wouldn't trade hunting where I do now for anything.