HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats your memorible hunt
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Buckeye Mike
Fork Horn

Default RE: whats your memorible hunt

I have two that are a tie in my mind. The first was the first turkey I shot (not the first hunt). In that one when he showed up in full strut after blowing my ears off with a gobble at 50 yards (when I didn't think he was that close and I was standing up instead of sitting down) I though he would hear my heart beating and I couldn't catch my breath.

The second was with my middle son (age 11) last year on the last day of the season. He had been out with me in previous years and earlier that year without seeing a turkey (although we had heard a few). After working a bird all morning but not getting him to come to us I put down my gun and left my son with a friend while I went to see if I could circle the birds and find out what was keeping them away (it was very heavily wooded and we could hear them but not see them). When I got back the three of us were standing and talking about what to do next. At that point my son announced that he had yet to see a turkey and he didn't believe that you could really get them to come to calls. No sooner had he finished speaking when his eyes got huge and he started to shake. He pointed behing me and there, not 20 feet away, was a jake that had walked right in while we were talking. I told my son to slowly pick up he gun and he informed me that he couldn't because it was leaning against the tree where the turkey was standing. Needless to stay will still have fun talking about the first rule of hunting ("always keep your gun with you").