HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the closest you've been?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Hiawatha

Default RE: What's the closest you've been?

Back when i was a youngin', I was driving home one evening after a hockey game with my dad and there were a pile of deer in our bales. Dad stopped the truck and told me to get out and go and chase the deer away from the bales. So the ambitous little bugger i was i ran out after them but when i got close i found one doe laying down. I walked up closer and closer and she never got up. I stuck out my hand and patted the top of her head and she got up and bolted. Another time while mule deer hunting i was set up in a little clump of willows along a fence line, i had several does and fawns jump the fence and begin to feed directly in front of me. One curious little guy came over towards me and was inches away from sniffing my leg. And one of the most frightful experiences of my life happened when i was 17 i believe. I slept overnight in my ground blind on the field i intended to elk hunt in the morning. About 2 am i hear some crunching in the brush behind me, I am a little worried at this point because i have no idea what is behind me. As it approached out walks a little black thing beside the blind, a bear cub. So at this point the gun was loaded in record time and i hoped like heck momma wasn't around. The cub comes toward the blind and begins to sniff the corner of the blind and then carries on out of sight. I feel very lucky because i have had the chance to be very very close to animals where as most people have not had the same opportunity.