HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how tradtional are you
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:59 AM
deer meat

Default RE: how tradtional are you

I retired from the Navy Jan 03 and hadnt been hunting in nearly 18 yrs. I have rifles and killed 2 deer last season, But I realy wanted to go hunting with a traditional bow. I search all the sporting goods stores the the area and like othe hunters stated above there is little or nothing. What there is was top end stuff, $400 +. So dove into the internet reading every thing I could on how to make your own stick bow. A year and a half, 5 broken, warped or twisted bows latter, I have a nice 68 inch 58# @28.5 hickory bow. The only thing I had to buy over the net was the bow string, cant find it any where else. I looked to a cabnet maker and lumber mills for the wood, craft stores for the leather handle and lace. For the succesfull bow, it cost me less than $50 in material and 25 hrs start to finish, 2-4 hrs a day for a week and my wife complaining I'm in the shed too much[:@]. The only tools I used was a scraper(large sharp knife), belt sander and various grits of hand sand paper. I've been using carbon arrows, the ceader ones brek to easy for my not so accurate shooting. I'm getting better though, I'm a righty but left eye dominant so I have to compensate by shooting to the right abit. havnt got it down to where I'm satisfied withit yet. Any one out ther have the same issue?
Good luck making your bow, its more satisfiying than going out and buying one I think.
Bryan