HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 or .270 which is best for deer
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .243 or .270 which is best for deer

I've used a .243 since 1980...have killed over 130 deer with...most drop in their tracks...and I have never lost one...I have "converted" two buddies from a 30-06 to a .243..both are happy with the change...That being said...
I have two brothers, both have 17yr old sons...they use a .280, 7mm-08 and 2-.270s...they don't shoot as well as I do, and don't always hit the deer in lungs/shoulder....They "need" a larger caliber...I use my .243 all year...crows, groundhogs, foxes, coyotes...etc...I sight in my brothers/nephews guns....I feel like I shoot better..because I shoot more often, and the recoil in a .243 is minimal....I feel like my brothers/nephews would shoot "better" with a .243...but I don't try to "sell" them on this, because...if they lose one with a .243...I might get the blame...They lose more deer than I do...but they know they can't blame the size gun....

So....what I'm saying....if you are the type hunter that shoots a half a box of bullets a year with his deer rifle....maybe you shouldn't get a .243...
If you bow hunt/muzzleload hunt and do some off season varmit hunting...know how to take a rest when you hunt...don't take marginal shots...and can execute the shot when it becomes avaliable...in other words...IF you are a decent shot, and a careful hunter....Then you will enjoy the benefits of the low recoil and inherent accuracy of a .243....
Good Luck...nchawkeye

PS...If you are developing a flinch with the 30-06....and it takes a big man to admit this....definately get a .243...or even a 25-06....