HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worst Hunting Experience
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Red Hawk
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Worst Hunting Experience

This story is actually hard for me to talk about but it is something i want to share with everyone. This experience was horrible because of what happened and the fact that despite both the efforts of my dad and I, we couldn't help. I was about 18 at the time we were trying at one of the very few places out here but sad to say everyone goes to the place. We were basically just walking around because we knew we'd probably wouldn't get anything but still had to try. I'd say probably about two hours into our hunt, we heard a gun shot off in the distance (fairly close) and maybe about not even 5 minutes later, a guy screaming for help. Since my dad and I were closest to what end up being a wound hunter, we got there as soon as we could. I don't know how or why this guy was shot because he was wearing hunter orange but whatever reason he was. The guy was hit just below the heart but had a bad sucking chest wound. My dad being in law enforcment and certifed in first aid, did what he could to try to help the guy (he was able to plug up the hole in the back while i used the a bag that i carried my compass for the wound in front) We carried the guy probably a good couple of miles but sad to say he died before the paramedics could get there in time. I felt bad about this because both my dad and I tried to save the poor guy. I think my dad felt even worse because he was trained in first aid but it didn't do him any good. That was one of the few times i have ever seen him cry as well. I don't know if it was an accident or not but the "hunter" who shot the poor guy ran off afterwards and not even sure if he was ever caught or not. Ever since this incident, i don't hunt out there anymore.