HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Unneccessary law or a good idea?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 AM
adams

Default Unneccessary law or a good idea?

As I was reading through the law book thinking about bear hunting next year I came across an "illegal act" that got me thinking. In Maine it is illegal to hunt over another persons bait site without permission from the baiter. This makes sense due to the amount of time invested in setting up a bait site and the fact anyone could "steal" the fruits of another person's labor by sitting in their stand and shoot a bear that comes in on the bait.

This got me thinking about deer hunting and the annoyance of finding people or worse, evidence of people such as cigarette butts in, on or littering the area under your stand.

My question is do you think the law is over reaching or do you think it is a good idea? I couldn't see what the penalty were so I'm not sure if it is just a fine or if there is also a suspension of hunting privileges attached to a conviction. Do you think this would be a good "blanket" law for hunting from a stand without permission of the stands owner in all seasons?

I'm not so sure it would have changed anything but in light of the WI tragedy last fall this may or may not have kept this incident from ever starting. Although my take is it's an etiquette question and most of those who currently participate in such activities will likely continue to even if it is illegal.

Your thoughts?