HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wise Choice's for First time rifle owners?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Virginia7

Default RE: Wise Choice's for First time rifle owners?

The primary purpose of this rifle would be for target practice and having a good time at the range on the weekends.
First off, I'd look into getting a 22LR semi-auto like one of the Ruger 10/22 models.
Maybe even look into a used one in good shape with a scope (4x Weaver is good if
you need one). Rimfire ammo such as the 22LR is very inexpensive. You can shoot a
lot, and even get into target shooting if you want though you may have to upgrade the
gun/scope to be competitive. I enjoy an occasional trip to the range with mine, and
shoot targets, pop cans, plastic bottle caps, old shotgun shells, clays, etc. (no glass objects & clean up after, ok).
If you want to, you can get a 10/22 in a target model (heavy barrel, laminate stock).
Very accurate.

For a centerfire rifle, as noted, you might want to look into a gun chambered for the
223Remington. Again, ammo is relatively inexpensive. There's lots of guns available, from semi-auto to bolt action target rifles. I believe both Remington & Ruger make
target rifles for the 223Rem. Both make nice light sporters also, such as the Remington
Mod.7, or the Ruger Ultra-Light.

Good luck & have fun.