HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you have children, please read this!!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: If you have children, please read this!!

Hunter you are completely normal!!!

Children and guns DONT mix unless you use some EXTREMELY wary safety precautions. I'll tell ya a story about how I could've blown my 4 year olds head off!!!

My oldest son (now 9) really liked going out to my step-fathers farm and shooting, riding 4 wheelers and just doin "big boy stuff". So I caried him with me one afternoon to sight in my muzzleloader. We loaded everything onto the 4 wheeler and rode down to a safe field for shooting. It is a large field (over 1 mile long and appx 1/4 mile in width) right through the middle of it is an old ditch row that is about 10ft deep and has head high weeds growing along the side. Anyway, I knew I was in trouble as I began shooting at the target while it was at 25yds (a taped paper target on a 4'x4' box) as my son wouldn't be still and his movement made it difficult to shoot steadily off the 4 wheeler I was resting on. I required him to stay on the 4 wheeler and behind me so that I knew where he was. Being a muzzleloader I would have to shoot, clean, walk down range and tape over the holes in the target after each group was shot. So in between shots and groups he would get down and run around. Most of the time he would run quickly too the ditch and "explore" like little boys are prone to do.

After a couple of shots I then moved the target too 100yds and walked back to shoot again. I got ready and called for my son, he wouldn't answer me but I was fairly sure he was playing in the ditch (which was about 20yds too our left and ran parallel to the "range"). But being cautious I wouldn't shoot until I knew EXACTLY where my son was. I called and called and finally he answered... He was sitting IN the box my target was taped too and looking back through the 50 caliber bullet holes at me!!! [][][] My heart instantly JUMPED into my throat at the prospect of what would've happend had I simply gone on and pulled the trigger. Too this day I REFUSE to shoot guns with small children unless I can make EXACTLY sure where each and EVERY one of them are at ALL times and there is another adult with me to help with them. I told my wife and my own mother of the story and they nearly cried. I get chills everytime I mention the story or even think about it.

You can just NEVER be to sure, they say alcohol and guns are THE most dangerous combination. But I honestly think under many situations that guns and small children are a much more dangerous combination!!! [:'(]

Glad BOTH of our stories ended safely.
RA