HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wise Choice's for First time rifle owners?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 PM
jasonwinn

Default Wise Choice's for First time rifle owners?

Hello there,
I'm currently considering purchasing a rifle for target practice at the range. I don't have any kind of intentions of going hunting in the near future, but everything is a possibility I suppose. The primary purpose of this rifle would be for target practice and having a good time at the range on the weekends.

Currently I only own/shoot shotguns and shoot trap on the weekends. I Believe I know a decent amount about good quality shotguns, however, my knowledge with rifles is rather limited.

I am lost on what brand, type, and calibur rifle's I should be looking at. Some of the names I have come across are Remington 700's, M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields.

I love the idea of an m1 garand, however I would like to toy around with something that has a scope. This brings the idea of the 1903 springfield to the picture, a WW2 firearm sounds interesting, but I am not sure what I am getting myself into.

So would a 1903 springfield be a wise choice to buy or should I be looking at other rifles, if so, what should I be looking at?

I appreciate any kind of advice,
Thanks
Jason