HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shorter ATA Bows?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 PM
IL Rancher

Default RE: Shorter ATA Bows?

Well, after a little tweaking today with the bow (Had to adjust the site a little bit) I was shooting just perfectly again. A few things are helping with it so far I think. 1) As a heavier bow it just sets better in me hand and holds steadier. I don't often have to hike more than 3-400 yards and usually it could be shorter than that if I like so an extra 8 ounces isn't going to kill me. 2) The new site I put on has a level and I was canting my bow a wee bit. By not doing that I am shooting better. I am not perfect with the bow but I would say that my groups are 1-2 inches tighter than they were and I am much more consistent. It is anchoring better and I think the draw length might be 1/2-1 inch shorter than the old one. (they both are officially 29 but....).

I have tons of fun shooting bows and looking at them and I will probably be looking again soon enough. I don't think I will be parting with this bow though because it shoots so well for me and it feels right. My local shop just started carrying Dartons last fall to replace Champions and there is a lot of interest in them. I think people are seeing them as a lot of bang for your buck.

The other "smart" thing I did for myself was just buy a 60 pound bow because, lets face it, my shoulders will thank me in the future and I wasn't shooting my old bow past 64 anyways. Bows shoot better at full weight I am told soo I am glad I went that route.