HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I don't understand!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default I don't understand!

Ok, I have read several times on here about people wanting to help out their herd, make it grow, get bigger bucks, etc. I am kind of at a loss as to what the reasoning is behind everyones thoughts. For example, Nevada (where I live) is 110,000 or so square miles. The deer herd last year was about 108,000. That is roughly 1 deer per square mile average, but probably closer to about 3-4 maybe in the majority of the area the deer inhabit during the spring/summer/fall months. The herd is fairly healthy, a buck-doe ratio of about 3.5-4 does per buck. The only way I hunt is by spot - n - stock. I sit up on a hill and glass until my eyes pop out of my sockets. I understand that in certain areas of the east, deer populations top 20 deer per square mile in spots, but it seems people are complaining that there are no deer around this year, bucks are small, etc. I can't see this, when people say they have only seen maybe 10 deer this year? How is that possible NOT to see deer with a population density like that? Just this year alone I saw over 100 deer, and that was easy. With 20 deer per sq mile, that should be a cake-walk to see deer. Also, when people complain of seeing only small bucks, does it occur to anyone that with that many deer per sq mile, that they just don't get enough feed? Maybe warranting an idea to bring the population DOWN? I also see pictures of deer coming in to trail cams (not a problem with me), but there is a pile of corn at the bottom of the picture? Doesn't this alter the deer's natural feeding habits?

I am not trying to bash anyone for how they hunt, but I would like to better understand the reasoning behind how you hunt. I am honestly confused about the management practices back east.