HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stopping a behavior
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
jashoffa

Default RE: Stopping a behavior

I will give you a couple of things you can try. I have only ever trained pointing dogs but I think you will find this helpful.

With a Flushing dog I have read about training "sit to flush" meaning the dog will sit after the bird is flushed and while going back to train the would be difficult you could do it. Also as I understand, "sit to flush" helps the dog mark the bird for the retrieve.

Do some retrieving drills with the dog. Give the "sit" command and then the "stay" command. Throw the retrieving dummy or better yet have a helper throw it. If you have a blank pistol to shot incorporate that and shoot as the dummy is in the air. Make the dog sit and stay and let the dummy hit the ground. Only let him retrieve it once you have given the command to fetch. Also sometimes let him get it, some times make him stay while you go and pick it up. This will get him guessing as to which action will get him praise.

Once he is doing good on the above drills use the following to re-enforce the training

Using a check cord (25' long), Take the dog a field with the check cord attached to the collar, a training choke collar works well but a standard collar works too. When the dog finds a bird and it flushes let him take off after it, when he gets to the end of the cord hold the cord firm (wear some leather gloves) and maybe even pull back or walk backward. The dog will be stopped abruptly and maybe even flip end over end. Don't say a word keep quiet and let the check cord do the correction. This way the dog doesn't associate the discomfort of hitting the end of the check cord with you. He only knows it was undesirable.

I think if you try this the dog will be waiting for you to tell him what to do when a bird flushes.