HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about droppings..........................
Old 01-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Mossyhead

Default Question about droppings..........................

I will attempt to be as delicate with this question as I can but I'm dumbfouded on this one.
I have an 18 foot ladder stand against a pine tree, at the edge of an oak ridge, and in heavy tall brush. There is a year round wildlife feeding station about 50 feet from my stand (legal in Florida, on private property).
Now I have been in the woods for over half a centry and have observed a lot of things. BUT. The day before yesterday less than 6' from the feeding station and next to a 4" dia. tree I found a very fresh dung pile (droppings, scat, whatever you want to call it). Not quite like any buck droppings I have observed. And not doe pellets.
Oh brother. How do I describe this. About half the diameter in size to a buck. Several pieces in a pile about large enough to cover a coffee can lid. It was black and contained small seeds like you find in farm animal feed. Yesterday morning after a rain I took another look and the black portion is gone leaving a pile of seeds. This evening I check the feeder on my way out of the woods AND right over the recent pile is another fresh pile.
I know this may sound goofy but I would like to know what animal left its card. One old timer says it sounds like a bear, another says maybe a goat got loose from the place next door. Anyone have any idea what animal it is? Is there a web-site that may have a dropping display? I loaned out my wildlife ID book so researching going slowly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be on my stand if this is ALIEN calling cards. LOL. Thanks, Steve.