HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Simplicity?
Thread: Simplicity?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Simplicity?

This is an issue that with SOME of the "advancements" .I agree that a whole new set of problems have come.I totally agree with 1 cam bow creating as much of a problem as they solved.String materials are better but how often did bows with steel cables go out of time?

Limb Savers are probably the biggest advancement in archery in recent history but they tend to wear out fast and break.They can even make the old bows shoot smoothe.( I am anxious to see how the new Alpha Shox hold up.)

Carbon arrows,that I love from a penetration and toughness standpoint are great but tend to degrade over time and I have gone BACK to the OLD ACC's. from the early 90's.Probably still the best overall arrow available.

BUT I have to say that My Hoyt Xtec with my Ultimate Fallaway,ACC's,Extreme Sniper XLT sight has performed flawlessly from the time I set it up untill now.I moved the sights once but moved them right back the next day I shot.It still tunes and shoots just the way it did when I set it up.This is after thousands and thousands of arrows.No tinkering here.

This is a direct result of better cam technology and better materials in the bow itself.6061 aluminum verses cast.6061 is more stable and there are no impurities in it like cast.Cast is a nice material and is stable in extreme weather changes but it is still not 6061.Limb materials, in the Hoyts especially, are performing at a higher standard than ever before in time.They are much less likely to be adversely affected by weather changes than the old glass limbs and last longer.

The new Hoyt Protec that I have just recieved is without a doubt the most accurate and forgiving bow that I have ever shot.It has some of the old shootable attributes with the new technology and is just a blast to shoot.It gives me a nice narrow grip that wasn't even possible in years past because the bow would break in half.It balances MUCH better than the old deflex bows of years past.I prefer a 38" a-a bow for targets and this bow is perfect for me with the xt2000 limbs( and the regular cam 1/2) but is available with much longer limbs for those that prefer a long a-a bow.The reason I say this is because not ALL bows are short unforgiving bows.There are a few manufactuers out there that understand there are a few that still enjoy a stable and forgiving bow to shoot.Those people are the ones that truly see the benefits of what the new technology has done for the sport.

I like to see the gadgets and gimmicks because they are what eventually will lead to something that is actually an improvement and not just another gimmick or reinvention of the wheel.