HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would like opinions on Ruger 77/50
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM
graveyard zombie

Default Would like opinions on Ruger 77/50

I was at a local gun show Sunday and stumbled across a Ruger 77/50 muzzleloader. I have been looking at various brands of muzzleloaders and owners comments for some time now but I did not know Ruger even made a muzzleloader. I usually see something at the gun show that I like and then have time to research it but Sunday was not the case. I really liked the looks and the workmanship of the Ruger and I felt it was too good of a deal to turn down so I bought it. The guy told me Ruger has discontinued making muzzleloaders due to poor sales and stiff competition so he was afraid to get stuck with it. It is new in the box, has a black composite stock, stainless steel, came with Ruger rings and he threw it a 209 conversion kit because he said it wouldn't fit anything else he had for sale. I got it all for $225.00 and since I've been looking at a lot of muzzleloaders I thought I couldn't go wrong with the Ruger name and this price.

I've only found two reviews of the Ruger 77/50 on the internet. One is by Randy Wakeman who didn't like it at all and the other is by Randy Smith who just loved it. My rifle is set with the #11 primer but I do have the 209 kit to change it should I feel the need to do so. One of the dislikes that Wakeman had was what he felt was a lot of blowback to the underside of the scope. However, the bolt on my gun seems to block the upper side and throw everything out to the right. Is this some type of change or will it still blowback from the top? I would greatly appreciate anyone in this forum who owns a Ruger to give me their likes or dislikes.