HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Management Does????
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 AM
IL Trophy Hunter

Default Management Does????

I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on doe harvest, and what your opinions are as far as tightening up buck to doe ratio's. For several years now, I've harvested 4 or 5 does per year off of our family farm. These harvest generally occur before the rut. The theory of course is that in a perfect world you want your ratio to be 1 to 1. Or even a few more bucks than does. I know this is not going to happen. My concern is w/ taking these 4-5 does before the rut each year, am I causing my bucks to go to neighboring properties that are not harvesting as may does, in order for the bucks to find receptive mates. I have other properties that I hunt, I've just always taken all my does of this one property, because of what has been preached in magazines to keep the ratio as close to equal as possible. Should I continue to take all of my does off of the one property(is it benefiting me or hurting me), or should I spread my doe harvest out over the other properties as well. Please give me your opinions!! Thanks.