HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Idahoelkinstructor Help
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 02:27 AM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idahoelkinstructor Help

Standingpipe, first off welcome to the form, and to Idaho. Second what brought you to Idaho? Ketchum is a very beautiful place, I don't like the rich (hollywood type) tree huggers that live there. But other than that you are in a perfect big game hunting paradise. I haven't hunted the units right around where you live (units 48 and 49), but from all accounts they are excellent for both mule deer and elk. I do hunt the Salmon units 28 and 30, and the Lemhi Units 51, 29 and 37A and know a lot of that country like the back of my hand. They too are great for elk and deer provided off course the wolves are not in the general area. You'll figure out quick that when wolves are around there are no elk to be found. The elk clear out of an area quick because of that stupid dog. Also I have hunted unit 50, which is near you and that is a great unit. In Idaho remember we have elk zones and you have to pick a zone. But you can hunt all the units in your zone. Of course if you buy the non-resident tag you can hunt two different zones or the same zone with both tags if you like. Do you have horses? Five or so years ago a you could get around with a ATV just fine but they have closed it down for the ATV's. Its nice and I like it because it seemed that some of the hunters were riding their fourwheelers everywhere. I own both horse and forwheeler. I am sure you know by now that the country is steep big and beautiful. Even with a horse I walk a lot and to be successful you need to walk a lot as well. I have not hunted the panhandle (want to someday) but I am sure that you have an good idea for the type of elk hunting that Idaho had to offer. I assume that you are wanting a nice bull with your bow? I am bowhunting some new country (tex creek zone) this next year that is closer to my home east of Idaho Falls. I hunted it for the first time last year with my inlaws on a general rifle hunt. They only rifle hunt and my father in law is fighting cancer, so being a good son in law and not wanting to miss out on a chance to hunt with him during his life. I went rifle hunting, for the first time in about 12 years. I did kill a 5x5 bull opening day Oct. 15 that I called into me, but to be honest it just wasn't the same thrill as a bow kill. The reason I mention this, is that I know a few honey spots over your way, that you might be able to hunt and have good success. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but before I just give them to you I would like to meet you. I like to get to know people before I give out that type of info. Also I don't like people turning around and broadcasting it to all the world if you get my drift. I might not hunt some of these places for the next couple of years, but its nice to know there availavle if needed. For mule deer there are some great late season hunts, where you can hunt them in the rutt. Have you bought a new bow yet? If not let me know and I will be more than happy to take you around Idaho Falls to the different bow pro-shops. I too am buying a new bow this year. Its only the 4th bow that I have owned, I am not the type to buy a new bow every year, or every other year. I buy a bow and use it and use it. Anyway I am buying a Mathews Switchback its a sweet shooting bow and I love it, but if you don't like Mathews, with the 4 pro-shops here in IF you can find any bow you want. One last thing how long ago have you bowhunted? Idaho does require bowhunters education if you haven't bowhunted another state for 5 or more years. My wife and I are archery education instructors so if you need to be in a class no problem. Feel free to email me for more info, also I will give you my phone # I don't like to give it over the net for all to see. Hope this helps and good luck.