HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rate some good recurves to buy
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 01:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rate some good recurves to buy

I think you're explaining your reasoning as well as any of us could. Really, it's one of those things that needs no explanation to someone who understands.
I think Art pegged it--we know what you mean.

Shane, if you want to post links to bowyers, businesses, and such that is fine. It's just against forum rules to post links to other sites (competitors), or a business you are affiliated with.

Coug, there are gobs of excellent bows on the market. Nobody will be able to say what bow will be just right for you though--that is a decision you will have to make yourself. Since it's been a while, I'd start out cheap/used. You don't know yet just what you like or what works best for you. We can give you an idea on bow length and such, but only you will be able to decide what grip, woods, etc. you like best.

You will also want to start out light. I know you rather not have to start with one bow, then go to another, even possibly a third, but you will save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run, and if you start out with a heavier weight bow you will most likely wind up buying another anyway, then have to work on fixing all those bad habits you developed. You need to start with a bow you can control comfortably so you can concentrate on your form without struggling. I'm not saying a bow you are comfortable pulling back for a dozen shots, but one you can work with for a while and not get tired.

Price, even reputation, is not the determining factor. You do want to get a bow (especially if you buy new) that has a good reputation and a good warranty, but if the bow doesn't fit you that isn't worth much. You may run across some no-name bow for $50 at a pawn shop and it be the best bow for you. Not to say an expensive bow won't shoot well for you too, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great bow. Until you get back in the groove, you won't really know what shoots best for you and what doesn't. I could say "my bow is the best I've ever shot" and be 100% truthful, but that doesn't mean it will be the best for you.

I wouldn't go with a short bow. They are generally harder to tune and less forgiving. What is short depends in part on what your draw length is. For someone with a 26" draw, a 58" bow isn't short. For someone with a 31" draw, it is.

A benefit to buying used (as long as you keep it in decent shape) is you can usually get your money back, or real close. My experiece has been different than STA's--bows don't generally loose a certain dollar amount, but rather a percentage. Pay $800, sell it for $600, you lost 25% (which isn't bad, generally speaking, on a new bow). Pay $400, loose 25%, and you lost $100, etc. I haven't done much trading in the last few years, but generally used bows, in good condition, were bringing 50-75% of the new cost.

I was shooting hard and heavy for 3 or 4 years before I bought my first custom, and even then I only kept it for a few years. I learned more and my taste changed. I've been with my current #1 for about 8 years now, and have no interest in changing at this point. I may change my mind one of these days, but I doubt it.

Take your time, shoot several if you can, make the decision on how it feels to you. Later on, when you have it all together and have a better idea of what you like and don't like in a bow, you can use that knowledge to make the best choice in a new bow.

Chad