HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field Dressing
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field Dressing

its hard to explain but easy to show someone....ill try....my way is rather simple i think....ive seen guys spen 20-30 mins.....i spend maybe 5...if i hurried i bet i could do it real fast with a good sharp knife....thats the most inportant thing....a good sharp knife...about 3-4 inches of knife is all you need...i start between the legs....pull up on the hide and insert your knife blade up...ith my opposite hand i put my index finger on the left of the blade and my middle finger on the right spread apart...slide the knife and fingers up and slice the open until your at the breat bone/ribe cage....there will be a layer of skin holding in the guts...go back down to where you started and try to pull up on it and make a hole or slice but dont cut down into the guts...put your opposite hands fingers in the hole again and slice clear back to the ribcage....the guts will all be exposed now....and you shouldnt have cut any...then i roll it over and kind let everything slide out...pull easily to move it out.....next i cut the windpipe....to do that your going to have to reach clear up to the deers throat....its hard to explain without a deer in my hands...theres a layer of skin..the diaphram that seperates the guts from the lungs...cut through that...and go up as far as you can.....just think...your going clear to its throat as far as you can.....knife in one hand....facing away from you..towards the neck meat..with your other hand reach in and find the windpipe..go as far up as you can and cut through it.....that frees all the lungs and such....now..goto the deers anus(outside the body....) cut a circle around it..not sure how deep you have to go but you have to cut it out somehow so whatever it takes.....if you have to grab ahold of the anus and pull back on it to pull it tight to cut around it....that frees everything else....pull everything out...most everything comes out with a gentle pull....if needed use your knife to free things off the carcass...that works for me but its hard to describe....easy to show someone in real life though....after that ill grab the deer by the neck and stand up with it and pull it up and try to get all the blood out.....tie on the rope and start dragging......works for me....good luck....best bet is find someone to show you how.....but dont let them just SHOW you.....get in there and feel what they are cutting....and how they do it.....theres 10000 diffrent ways to do it....no wrong or right way...just get everything out....and dont cut any guts like the intestines..stomach....blader(located under the pelvic bone i believe....) some guys do all kinds of things with the genitals....i myself just cut off the things attached to them and leave them there.....my dad showed me a diffrent way.....and another guy showed me a diffrent way....but thats how i do it now.....quick and easy.....and i think i get everything out..lol....some guys go all out and split the pelvic bone.....i used to doing it dads way..but dont anymore....if your alone and need to get it done just remember....get everything out somehow.....and dont cut the guts!!