HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - every one with opinons!!!!!!!! come on in !
Old 01-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Soilarch

Default RE: every one with opinons!!!!!!!! come on in !

My dad has a Fox(savage) model B in 12gauge. Its the first gun I ever really connected on clays with. It just feels better than anything else. The only auto i've ever liked was an old ladies 20gauge auto5. Because the small forearm on SxS don't allow you to "hold on" to anything it makes them feel quite unique. The whole eye getting confuse is nothing but an excuse for poor shots. The same goes for having to compensate for each barrel. Do you have to aim lower when firing the top barrel of an O/U...NO! In the field an opened SxS lays very nicely in the crook of your arm, and I hear that old fashioned english stocks are a dream to carry. Lastly SxS tend to shoot much flatter than others...something I am now use to and like very much. A few of the reasons I've heard for O/U being more dominant in the competition circuit are as follows:
FASHION/TREND
Cheaper to make an O/U action than a SxS
You get double the mirage off a hot SxS

Only the last one has anything to do with performance...and dove hunting is the only real-world scenario I can think of where it would be an issue.

One last thing I've noticed: Alot of the SxS you see in most gun stores today are peices of junk that no one wants. I believe this is why the haters hate. Can anyone guess why you hardly ever find a nice one? We all have guns. The lucky ones have guns they'll never sale.

Oh and don't think a sweet SxS has to cost you a second mortage: www.dhshotguns.com