HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Its over for this year.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Its over for this year.

I hunted for a few hours on three different days. My place is 18 miles out of the nearest town. The first afternoon that we drove out there I know we saw 100 deer. Many of the winter wheat fields had several groups of 15 to 30 head of deer. In the evening they come out of the breaks and draws and sloughs and get into the winter wheat which is the only source of green food at this time of year. All you have to do is stake out the end of a draw that comes out onto the fields and take your pick. There are way to many deer right now and they have put several extensions on the season for antlerless deer. These are hugh fat Mule deer. The farmers are doing a great job raising deer. Trouble is now when the snow covers most of the food, they head into the ranchers haystacks and raise hell with the hay. You might see 25-30 deer on top of a haystack. They pee in the hay and then the cows don't like to eat it. They also break a lot of the bale strings running around on the hay stacks. Farm crops make up 90 percent of their diet.