HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dumb question
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
kevin1
Dominant Buck

Default RE: dumb question

Welcome to your newest addiction Redsox !
None of your questions are the least bit dumb , you'll find yourself asking them again , and many more besides . Learning is the difference between a hunter and a slob , I learn something new about it every day and it still gets my blood pumping every time I go out to the woods .

Hanging a deer is a subjective thing , some do it , some don't . That's something you have to learn more about so that you can decide if it's right for you . Learning how to gut one properly is more important . Ask a processor or the meat cutter at your supermarket about aging meat , they're the pros .

Butchering is best left to a processor the first time , but don't rule out learning that too . Cost varies widely , around here it averages around $60-70 , so save your pennies . Choose a processor with a good reputation , and make sure that they guarantee in writing that you'll be getting your own deer back . If possible , choose a processor who will do the job immediately and allow you to watch . Some meat cutters process deer for extra money during the season , and nearly all of them will do it as you wait(and watch) . Beware of cut rate cutters , you get what you pay for , or sometimes not . []

Between now and then talk to as many hunters as you can and keep asking questions . Read books about it , watch hunting videos , get out in the woods and try out what you've learned . Going on "photo safaris" is a great way to not only practice but also scout the land that you intend to hunt . You get to wear the same type of clothes , use most of the same skills , and with a camera you'll rarely have "one that got away" .

Good luck and good hunting !