HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some of Gary Alts parting words
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
germain
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some of Gary Alts parting words

BT,I agree the herd needed reduced and still does in some areas.Back in the 80,s an average day produced about 50 deer sightings.While I agree that was too many for the big woods habitat I also think seeing one deer a day or none has gone to the extreme.The habitat can support more deer then that.In other words,let's balance the management with all involved including us hunters.Without using the same old boring numbers we've been looking at the past two years let's put it in a hunter's perspective.After the bonus tags were introduced and her reduction started taking effect,our sightings decreased to about 10-12 deer a day.I can live with that,a good huntable number.One or no deer a day is not.And these are the conditions alot of hunters are hunting under.I ask the people who support Alt?Can you honestly say you'd be happy with seeing maybe one deer in a full day's hunt?
Now some are saying the people who are complaining don't know how to hunt or need to move.Come on,we're talking about the PA big woods where folks have cabins for generations.As for the not knowing how to hunt theory?I have plenty of experience and buck kills to debate that.{not intended for you bt}
Can't they find a common goal between the hunters and others?After all we lead the pack in money spent in conservation.I didn't hear many people complaining when those numbers of sightings dropped to 10-12 a day.A few but not like now.There's obviously a serious problem and these people are simply very concerned sportsmen and women who are passionate about their sport.
I see hunters calling other hunters whiners and troublemakers.I guess it's all in how the fellow sportsmen look at them.Maybe instead of calling them selfish,they can feel bad for the situation they're in and help find a common goal.
I see where 902 gets on people pretty hard likes it's personal.I could choose to think of 902 for being selfish and not care about the situation alot of hunters are in,but I won't.I'd rather believe he's a fellow that cares about the forest and truly thinks it's for the best.And there's nothing wrong with that but listen to what the other side is saying let's work together and find a balance.I really think we can do that.But we have to care about the sportsmen on the other side of the state too.Listen to what people are saying,there's very few deer.And in most of the state land I'm familar with,there's too few.There's been an overharvest and the PGC isn't doing anything to adress that problem.