HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK, How Big is BIG to you?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Default RE: ELK, How Big is BIG to you?

Judyboi, If your judging skills are as good as they say you are then you are in elk heaven. Any spot where you can see a 400 inch bull everyday and 380 is run of the mill is one hell of an elkin spot. I'd protect the whereabouts of your areas with your life. The only time I've seen this happen is on private property where the elk go as a sanctuary. This happens up on some mining property up by Diamond mountain but I've never seen that happen on public ground even in the limited entry units.

Every year I spend lots of time up on the Diamond Mountain unit. I usually make at leat one trip on the Book Cliffs a year, the unit up above Boulder at least once a year. The Piaute trail takes me up on Monroe, saw some beautiful bulls this past summer up there. Piaute also takes me up above Beaver but not a lot of big bulls that way, lots of elk though. Got in a stare down with a Blackie this past summer up there. The trail also takes me up above Fillmore and there are some awesome bulls up there. I did some archery deer hunting down in the Manti's up above Fairview this year and about got ran over by a herd of 40 elk or so while sneaking through the aspen. I saw a 370-380 class bull while there but that was the only real big boy I saw down there. I went down to the Paunsaugunt for the first time late last fall and again got into some nice bulls down there. I've got family in Price so I spend some time looking around Range Creek and 9 mile, when I was a kid we'd hunt up Indian Canyon all the time but it's just not what it used to be. But where I really spend a lot of time is on Diamond Mountain and my favorite elk spot is....drum roll...... on San Juan Elk Ridge. I've seen elk in those hills that scare the hell out of ya and you see them everywhere. The San Juan unit is closest I've ever seen to the elk utopia that you describe. Where are you from?