HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK, How Big is BIG to you?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ELK, How Big is BIG to you?

How big is big,it's like beauty is in the eye's of the beholder.
Now that been said anyone who shoots a 340-350 bull should be happy as heck.I have seen some big bulls hear in Montana down on the river during archery season,but as luck has it the y never get closer than 80 yds.I've also watched them down at SLippery Ann on the Missouri,now that a sight I think all elk hunters should see 2-400 head of elk in the rut not 100 yds off the road(Fun for the whole family).

Now this year I saw the biggest bull I have ever seen,with a rifle in my hands.I was hunting with HillBillyhunter and we had split up,I was looking for deer and he was looking for elk.I bumped into a 7x7.He was not 50 yds laying down,when he stood up,I new right then and there I was looking at a 380-385+ animal.He was by far the biggest elk I have ever laid eyes on in the wild.
He was big enough to make me run and find Chad who had the tag[].I wish we could have found him again,but they don't get that big for noth'in.
Now to answer the question I think a 340+ bull should make about anyone happy.Now if you think that is under you to shoot one that scores 300+ then maybe you should stop hunting elk cause some ppl never see a bull that big.My biggest is a 5x5 bull that maybe scores 220-230,that don't mean I don't try for bigger or lesser.I shot a spike this year,5x5 year befor and cows the 2 years prior.
So shoot what makes you happy.
BBJ