HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK, How Big is BIG to you?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Default RE: ELK, How Big is BIG to you?

ORIGINAL: Judyboi

Where I deer hunt it is a limited entry elk unit. I think it a bad day when I don't see atleast a 380" bull and a good-average day with a +400". Granted, I will not draw out on this elk tag until I am dead, but those are BIG bulls.

You're from Utah I'm guessing and while you are on the right track my guess is if you put these bulls that you're talking about on the ground and laid tape to em you'll probably find they aren't quite as big as you think they are. I am a very frequent visitor to the "best" limited entry units in Utah and I haven't had quite that much success seeing bulls that big as often as you describe. There are certainly 380 to 400 class bulls in these units but they aren't quite an everyday site. I would say take off about 20-30 inches off of your estimates and that's probably what you're seeing. But then again maybe you've got a honey hole that yields better than normal results. Estimates are always tricky when the animal is on the hoof. If I were you I'd try and get video of them and have an expert look at it just to see how your estimating skills are. Who knows maybe you're right on. I've been off on my estimates too and it's an art to accurately judge an animals size on the hoof.

To answer the question I don't really get major jaw droppage until about 380. I've seen smaller but nice bulls quite often. Notice I said seen, never had the chance to kill one that big as drawing a tag is a very tough thing to do around here.