HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "classic test" Rocky mtn Snyper mechanical
Old 07-12-2002, 07:47 PM
5 shot
Nontypical Buck

Default "classic test" Rocky mtn Snyper mechanical

Rocky mtn Synper 100 grain

Accuracy 5 points
Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 2 points
Orange 3 points
Blades 3
Cutting diameter 4 points
Rearward opening head 1 point
Total score 23, with a blade sharpness rating of A

This is in my opinion the finest mechanical head on the market. It has everything a mechanical head needs, and it works very well. The rearward opening blades eliminate any chance of deflection or “cartwheeling” that can happen under extreme conditions with most of the “jack knife” opening style heads. Another benefit of this style of head is that you always get an entrance wound, in fact I have found that the entrance wound is actually larger than the total cutting diameter of the head. This is due to the way the blades swing out and back to open.
In the plywood test the Snyper blasted all the way through without any damage. This is only the 2nd mechanical head to do so. In the steel drum it penetrated the first side, and bounced off the back wall. The only damage was some bending of the blades, but the head stayed intact. In the Orange it opened completely by the time it exited, the blade/tip made a nice slit on the front side, and the blades showed some indication of opening. This is about the fastest opening mechanical I have tested.
Overall I find this broadhead to be excellent. It will shave hair right out of the package, the accuracy is outstanding, it opens fast, and is very durable. I can say without question this is also one of the best penetrating mechanical heads on the market. The only one to come close to it’s performance is the rocket steel head, but the snyper cuts a bigger hole, and has much sharper blades.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS