HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for PA guys...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 06:33 AM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for PA guys...

My opinion is that the only way antler restrictions will work is if they restrict the size as in inches, I learned alot this past year working for an outfitter. I learned that a buck uses the nutrients the first three years to build body size. After the third year the body is full grown and the nutrients then go to the antlers. It was an unspoken rule even with the local hunters where I was to not shoot anything under 115".
I agree that antler score is a better way to do AR but thats probably never going to fly in PA statewide and probably shouldnt on public land anyway.

I think that we all need to remember that AR was intended to allow some bucks to age for the purpose of a better breeding competition and that better racks were alwayspromoted as the welcome by product.
Pennsylvania will never be an Iowa, Illinois, Kansas etc. We can do better than we have in "the good ol days" and we have begun to prove that.

We need smaller WMU's and need to manage HR better and the AR we got aint perfect but it may be the best we can hope for.