HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck dispersment and QDM?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002, 12:46 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck dispersment and QDM?

Thank you all for your input, I knew I wasn't the first to grapple with this question. I feel better about the occasional Button being taken as a result of this conversation, and will relay some of the information to our party regarding the dispersal.

Bsk - No I haven't read Quality Whitetails, but have been meaning to. I really do not have alot of literature regarding QDM, but realize I should get my hands on some of it. Your post has helped me understand the dynamics of dispersal a bit better than I did, especially that dispesal would actually occur just prior to the rut, and not at fawning time like I had thought it would.

OK - So would you all agree that assuming a moderate Doe Harvest( 4-8 does/160 acres), that still the majority of the bucks that do the breeding will have been born elsewhere? And if so, other than food plots, what would be the best way to attract the "better" bucks from the surrounding area to set up shop in our area? Will you agree it is security cover, or access to does, or another factor.

Also, is it safe to assume that summer observed 2-1/2yr+ bucks are likely residents and that most summer observed 1-1/2 yr old bucks are likely to disperse?

Thanks again.