HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ?'s on German short hair training
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 AM
GSPsnFORDs
Typical Buck

Default RE: ?'s on German short hair training

I'm only 21 but I've trained two of my own GSP's and helped with a few others as well as a couple other breeds. I have shock collars but don't use them unless it's necessary (I'll talk about that later on). I've always trained with a check cord and made sure that the dog understands the commands you give it. My advice is to do your basic yard training with various commands and progress to the field once you read your dog and know that it understands what you want and want you're telling it. Once you get to the field then start using the e-collar only if the dog is being belligerent and not obeying your commands. However, my opinion is that you should not use an e-collar until a dog is at least 6-8 months (depending on the temperment of the dog). I have one dog that is extremely bull-headed and the collar has never really phased him. On the other hand, my other dog is extremely mild tempered and I rarely have to the e-collar on him. Now, the only reason I ever bought e-collars is b/c my first dog (the second one, eventually) decided he liked to chase deer and the e-collar is a good fix to that. But, just b/c I have an e-collar on each dog does not mean I like to abuse the "priveleges." This might sound a little complicated, but hopefully it makes some sense to you. Just "read" your dog and use your best judgement!