HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gary Alt (PA Hunters)
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
jhalfhill

Default RE: Gary Alt (PA Hunters)

I like the antler restrictions and I have noticed the difference. I saw a few good ones this year but they were all in places that I couldn't shoot them.

The problem I have with the current deer management system is the 2 week antlerless season. I agree that in WMU's with mostly forest that too many deer will gobble up all the food, therefore the bucks wont grow to full potential. However, here in area 2A which is the western half of Fayette and all of Greene county, it is all farmland surrounded by patches of woods. Plenty for the deer to eat. No need to shoot as many deer as we do every season in this area. These deer already have enough trouble hiding in the small patches between fields. Then one hunter walks in that patch, all the deer run out and the surrounding hunters have enough doe tags to kill them all 6 times over. Another problem is that of all the antlerless deer killed, a good chunk of them are button bucls. For every button buck killed that is 1 less buck you will have in that area the next year.

If the land can support a bigger herd then guess what?! That means we would have MORE does that give berth to MORE button bucks that grow into MORE bigger bucks.

I dont want to shoot spikes and 4 points like you all claim, i just like to SEE deer. The only way to see deer here now is round up 20 buddies and turn over every bush.

SO......what do i think the answer to this problem is? In areas such as this one where food is available, 3 day doe season instead of 2 weeks OR a helluva lot less tags. It does not take a Masters degree in wildlife biology to figure that out, its common sense.